WCW: Megan Steele Meets World




Can you tell me about your background? School?
My first year of college I went to Bowling Green State University. It just wasn’t for me. Choosing to transfer was a hard decision, but it was one of the best decisions. Akron has been good to me, and I love it here. 



What do you do for a living?
Currently, I am in the middle of my last semester at Akron. I will be graduating with Graphic Design as my major and Art History as my minor. 



If you’re not doing it, what would your dream job be?
I’d love to move to a bigger city — New York, or London would be the dream. I’d like to work for a design firm that focuses on multiple things from branding to layout and print design. I enjoy campaigns with multiple mediums and designing for good to make a difference. 



How important is social media to your business?
Social media is a big part of my career. It helps get my work out there for people to see. It’s great to see artists collaborate over social media from all over the world. 



What would you say is your personal brand is?
I’d like to appear kind, supportive, creative, and adventurous to the world. Currently actually working on my own logo and it’s one of the hardest and longest projects I’ve ever worked on. Going on 3 years of work..



What can others learn from you?
I enjoy giving advice to people. I think I just like to help people enjoy life whether it’s through adventures, trying new things, or simply laughing.



How do you do under pressure? How do you handle stress?
I’d like to think that I handle stress, but just like everyone else — sometimes life can get a little crazy. One of my main outlets for relieving stress is running. I hated it in high school when I ran cross country, but now it’s something I look forward to. It’s freeing. I think when you’re under pressure or stressed it’s important to talk to people about it. Planning and organizing is also essential. I have a ridiculous amount of notebooks and planners.  







What’s the average day in the life of Megan look like?
Coffee in the am — necessary. This semester you could find me in the art building, a coffee shop, the gym, or out enjoying a glass of wine with good company. I enjoy staying busy and being out, even if that just involves a trip to Target. I try to keep my days as interesting as possible. 



Do you/Did you have a mentor/mentee?
I don’t necessarily have one specific mentor. I’d like to say career wise, my professors at Akron as well as my peers have greatly influenced me and have helped me to become the artist that I am today. Collaboration and critiques are essential and I am always learning. I’d also add that fellow artists from around the world through social media have also influenced me. 

As for a life mentor, my mom has been a great influence in my life. She gives the greatest advice, is my best friend, and is basically a superhero. 



How did you advance your career?
Although I am not out in the “real world” yet, I’ve just been focused on getting my work out there and gaining as much experience as I can in my field. Fortunately, I obtained a small graphic design job early on and from there advanced my skills quickly. I worked a few different design jobs, an internship, and freelance. From then on, I’ve been entering competitions and continuing to promote my work! I’m so lucky that I love what I do. 







Why do you do what you do?

I have been an artist in a lot of ways since as long as I can remember. As a child I was always writing stories, drawing pictures, creating poems. I loved the creation of things, whether it be words or visuals. 

I think a lot of people can easily set art aside as “unnecessary” but people don’t realize how influential art and design can be to them. I love having a problem and fixing it visually to allow the viewer to experience something — whether it be positive or negative. Art is supposed to make people feel, and I love that. I always have. 



How would you describe your personal style?
My personal style is always changing. I enjoy dressing nice, because for me i feel as though it improves my performance if I’m working. I would say that I can go from hipster one day to dressed up the next. 



What makes up your wardrobe?
My closet is mostly black. I love XL sweaters, ripped jeans, camouflage at the moment, booties, and any unique shirt that I can find at Marshalls. 



Who is your fashion icon?



I don’t know if I have one fashion icon, because I feel like I don’t really have one particular style. I follow a lot of fashion bloggers my age, and I Pinterest a lot. 





What do you feel is your greatest accomplishment?
Career wise, I’ve won a few ADDYS which has been so exciting!
Life wise, I’d just say I’m in a good place right now with the people around me and that’s all I could ask for. 



What is your ‘must have’ accessory?
This is a hard question. Does coffee count? I’ve always got a cup in my hand. If not, I’m probably on my way to get some. 


Otherwise, I’d probably say rings. I’ve always had a pull to them, and I think they can be unique, simple, outgoing, and can tell others a lot about yourself. They're also not a bad conversation starter. 



What advice can you give others that look towards you to gauge success?
I think I would tell them to search hard in finding what they love, and to put the work and dedication into it. Go the extra mile. 



What advice can you give on failure?
I love this question, because my major is full of it. I’ve been going through hard and sometimes brutal critiques for awhile now. Putting up your work in front of people is always slightly terrifying. I’ve seen everything from tears to extreme excitement. I think criticism isn’t failure. It’s just a part of the journey to success. It’s how you react to it that makes the difference. 



What was your big break?
I think choosing to study abroad in Italy completely by myself was one of the better decisions I’ve made in my life. Especially with being so shy at the time. The trip allowed me to open up more than I ever had, influence my love for art and travel, and allowed me to be excited about life in a way I hadn’t experienced. 




Are you a member of any organizations? Trade Organizations, etc.

I am a member of a few design organizations. 



What’s next for you? 
To be honest, I’m not quite sure. BUT…I’m hoping that the next step involves a new city, new experiences, and great people

Thanks Megan! 

xo,
KJB 

Website: (newly finishedmeg-steele.com


No comments:

Post a Comment

Flashback Fashion Friday: January 2021

January 2021 was honestly a continuation of 2020... it was such a long ass month. At the end of the month, there was a power outage that las...