Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life... A Review, finally

I write this as I listen to Gilmore Guys, a wonderful podcast that I've referenced before- seriously listen now!


Honestly, I knew that Gilmore Girls was coming back and yet- I didn't head straight to Netflix to watch seasons 1-7. Why? Cause I'm a failure- I was even reminded in August 2016 by Meghan Reinks that should have had me shifting into high gear- she gave a call to action that was one to two episodes a day that would get me prepared for A Year in the Life.



And yet- I'm a terrible fuck and I gave myself essentially a month to get to the finale. That's 153 episodes and each at about 45 minutes long and 22 episodes a season.

Nope- so dumb, I had to get to a time frame where I had to watch 8-9 episodes a day.

YUP! EIGHT TO NINE EPISODES A DAY?!

Of course, I got to Season Four and I realized it wasn't gonna happen and it burnt me out, so hard. So then I went to the handy dandy, totally trust worthy Wikipedia and read the episode synopsis and picked  BEST episodes and still didn't make it to the finale.

So basically when the time arose to watch Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life.

PHOTO: ROBERT VOETS/NETFLIX.


I had originally hoped that we were continue struggle bussing through seasons four to seven, but I could not even handle the opportunity of spoilers- so I lasted a day, because I did have to work Black Friday and then Saturday afternoon, Small Business Saturday, mom and I prepared ourselves to watch all four episodes.

Cause honestly- HOW DO YOU NOT WATCH ALL FOUR AT ONCE?! WHO even ARE you?!

I believe enough time has passed so I'm gonna go ahead with some spoilers-- you have been warned.

Here we go...

In 2017, two months later- my feelings on its entirety is a bit different but I'm gonna go off everything that discussed with other like minded fans!

But I digress...

Winter. Spring. Summer. Fall.


I didn't have the same response I did when  I finished the Veronica Mars  movie. So is Rob Thomas better than Amy Sherman-Palladino? Yes, obvi.  Is it because Netflix paid for it, while the fans paid for Veronica Mars? Cause honestly- neither got an actual ending, be it that Amy and Dan left GG prior to Season 7 and VM got cancelled after the Season 3 finale, but like-- WTF Amy and Dan?! If this is how you had planned for Season 7 to go- I'm glad you didn't get it. Yup.

So I was happyish in Winter, and cried in Spring, Summer and Fall. Usually always Edward Herrmann related cause Richard was life and of course, the Life and Death Brigade Farewell, cause goodbyes are hard.



To be honest, it took me a lot to come to terms with the ending as well as the four episodes in its entirety. I read a lot of articles, here and here are some favorites that I could find again and OF COURSE, I spoke to a handful of friends/fans to be able to cope.

Honestly, overall... it was fine.

There I said it-- I'm gonna make the argument-- A Year in the Life... HUGE LET DOWN.

BIG MISTAKE. HUGE.



I would argue that the show fell short. As a fan, I feel bad saying that... but.

It felt a lot like the women of Friends on Jimmy Kimmel.


It felt forced in places- I don't think Gilmore Girls translates in 2016. There I said it.

Don't @ me.

That being said I enjoyed it for what it was: Fan favorites all growed up, there was JESS and LOGAN, and none for DEAN, bye! 


There were places that I could've or any fan really could've made it better...

LIKE we got FUCKING JASON but NO Max or Marty?! Like yes, it wasn't Chad Michael Murray but we got Tristan- so what the f*@#?!

High Mediocre Praise: Gays and Blacks finally came to Stars Hollow... 

We also got Sutton Foster and probably someone else from Bunheads.

I did love seeing everyone grown up. If only we could've had Richard. But honestly Emily was the unsung hero and the only character that got her own storyline to be completely original. 

But there's been recent speculation that this wasn't the end for Gilmore Girls and all I could hope that is its real: 


Cause the Loraeli, Luke, Christopher storyline has been done. It's dead- and as the saying goes- you don't shoot a dead horse in the face.

And I'll leave it at that.

xo,
KJB



With that being said- I intend to finish Gilmore Girls by catching up with Gilmore Guys i.e. 105-404 and then jumping back into Season Four. Where I can watch an episode and then listen to the Guys talk about it. That way, we move forward together. 

To Be Continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Flashback Fashion Friday: January 2021

January 2021 was honestly a continuation of 2020... it was such a long ass month. At the end of the month, there was a power outage that las...