Make Kony Famous



The first time I heard of the Invisible Children and the problems in Uganda and Africa alike, was a few years ago, in an episode of 7th Heaven. It was quite the episode, and I remember then wanting to do something... But of course, after a few weeks, I forgot about the importance of this issue. It wasn't that this wasn't important it's just that I got swept up in my own life, and the melodrama that came with being a teenager.

I woke up today, and checked my Twitter, like I always do. The majority of it was hashtagging: #StopKony #MakeKonyFamous #Kony2012. Naturally, I didn't exactly know what it was, but I knew it was big and extremely important! So I retweeted it, sending it out from the people I follow, to my followers, knowing that when I had time between classes I would watch the video everyone was talking about. When I watched this video today, I knew I wouldn't forget about the Invisible Children again. Of course, I cried throughout the whole film. Then afterwards, when it had fully sunk in, I cried even more.This is such an inspiring movement! And it's so very important! The fact that something horrible like this could go on for so long! And nothing has truly been down, is disgusting! [Just for those who actually watched 7th Heaven, this episode was back when Ruthie & Peter were in junior high and got left at the zoo.] Jacob talking about his brother is heart wrenching! I couldn't imagine losing my sister, I may not always like her, but I'll always LOVE her!

After retweeting, and posting it to my Facebook wall. And honestly just repeatedly talking about it over and over again. I was faced with someone who didn't see the significance. She called it another bandwagon trend. Something people were doing, because others were... My initial thought was, so what?! The point is to bring Kony into the mainstream. Make you question it, make you look him up. The more people talking, no matter their reason is important. She went on to say how it didn't effect us so why did it matter. It may not be an American issue, but it is a human being issue, and isn't that what ultimately matters? She made a valid point of how America gets involved when we're not wanted and sometimes not needed and then we get flack for it. But my thought and what I told her was, This is too important not to care about, and get involved in! Because honestly, I agree, sometimes America gets involved too often and too fast, but this isn't an issue where that matters. Joseph Kony is a bad man, that deserves to be brought down, no matter who has to get involved! And the goal is 2012! And I think it can happen!


"Because where you live, shouldn't decide if you live."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Flashback Fashion Friday: January 2021

January 2021 was honestly a continuation of 2020... it was such a long ass month. At the end of the month, there was a power outage that las...