#DearME

The other day on Twitter, the goddess that is Sophia Bush retweeted, something that I've seen before but never really thought about before, onto my timeline:

15 people on what they would tell their 16yo selves

 

It's hard growing up... But I truly believe that if you can survive high school, you can just about survive anything. While I was fortunate enough to have great friends and family, my biggest critic has always and will always be myself. But here's something I've learned in my 23 years, it is possible to quiet the voice in your head that says you can't do something or you're not good enough, I'm not sure I'll ever be able to silence it completely but I've learned that it drives me to work harder, and not trust it blindly.


Here's what I know about me, that doesn't let the voice get too loud:
  • I love...
    • music
    • quotes
    • books (especially with strong female leads)
    • tv shows  & movies (with a message and quotes & narration)
    • my friends
    • my family
    • myself
    • God
    • nail polish
    • tattoos (important, significant)
    • food
    • social media
    • fashion 
    • writing
You have to learn how to silence the voice in your head that says you're not good enough or can't do something. I am capable of absolutely anything I put my mind to, and I am very much good enough. 
"Your identity should be so secure that when someone walks away from you they don't take you with them."

So what would I tell a young KJB?

Oscar winner, Graham Moore, said it best: "Stay weird. Stay different." Stay true to yourself. Don't change something that makes you just so uniquely you. Your hair is perfect just the way it is- curly, frizzy, crazy, it's unique. Being the tallest is pretty awesome sometimes, everyone else will eventually catch up. Confidence is key-- if you own who you are and what makes you different- the voice in your head won't be able to keep you down.

I'm ecstatic to think about the time in which we are living... There is new outlook on pretty much anything women-related. There are new, updated POVs and powerful role models. Famous women, women of power in the public eye seem to be accepting that they have a duty to the women that will come after them to lift one another up. It is Women's History Month, so ya know!

How lucky are we to have such great role models?

xxoo

KJB

No comments:

Post a Comment

Flashback Fashion Friday: January 2021

January 2021 was honestly a continuation of 2020... it was such a long ass month. At the end of the month, there was a power outage that las...