KJB the Northern Californian

Sorry for being MIA. I've just been trying to get my bearings. 


Life has been different since moving to Davis. Aside from working, I spend most of my time with my pup, Thomas. We're either watching Criminal Minds or Law and Order: Special Victims Unit. I've also spent quite a bit of money, cause retail therapy. We also go to the dog park three times a week. 


I also enjoy going to the movies. The prices of said movies have been alarming but they certainly don't stop me!


While I have been dreaming of moving back to California since moving to Ohio in 2002, Northern California is rather surprising.


For the past few years, I have been trying to figure out what I could do that would get me back to California. With my Fashion Merchandising degree I certainly wasn't going to start making the type of money I would need to live in NYC or LA. It would take time, but naturally, that was time I didn't necessarily have. The longer I was in Ohio, the longer I thought I was drowning. But how does one move when they have nothing in savings and works in retail. So I began to think about what I could do.


It took a few years, and becoming aware of the House Director position within sororities when I was meeting my chapters through my VST position. I realized that this was my way of making it the 3,000 miles back to California. I also started to save money.


When I was laid off in September, I was terribly upset but this golden opportunity with Kappa Alpha Theta arose. I had planned on starting to look in the coming months, April to be more exact so imagine my surprise when their was an opening right here in Davis.


I broke all my rules, I had wanted to save up $5,000 in my savings account, naturally I had about $700. Luckily, I was able to bring Thomas and suddenly this long shot became a reality.

While taking the three days to drive from Ohio to California, it was interesting and exhausting and I realized this was the first time I was moving anywhere without knowing anyone. In high school, my top two colleges already had at one friend there, then in Akron two people from my senior class came and then I joined my sorority sophomore year and the rest is history. It was the morning of the third day, the day I would arrive in Davis, that I became to wonder if I had been too impulsive.


That night when I made it to Davis, brought all my stuff out of my car and went to Target for sheets. While in the checkout line, I was barely keeping it together when the cashier asked how I was doing and I told her how I had just moved here from Ohio. She mentioned how brave I was, that she doesn't even drive to the neighboring town by herself... I left Target and cried in the parking lot.


I haven't cried since. Well about the move, Lady Bird and Wonder both got me.

We have almost survived our first quarter in Davis and by the time we go back to Ohio for Christmas, I'll have all my paperwork done to start to be considered a California resident.

Residency is my next step in total domination. So I can go to law school for the in state tuition, not that that will help me too much.

It's been an adventure these last few weeks but it's been fun.

Stay tuned!

xo,

KJB

No comments:

Post a Comment

Flashback Fashion Friday: January 2021

January 2021 was honestly a continuation of 2020... it was such a long ass month. At the end of the month, there was a power outage that las...