Finding Joe: The Hero's Journey

I honestly love learning. If it's a subject that truly teaches me something and then I want it in every facet of my life. I tell everyone about it and I continue to look into it long after the class is over. In college, that has probably happened three times. Freshman year with my English Comp 1 & 2! Last semester with Humanities and now this semester with Mythology of Ancient Greece! I think because I've always loved History and English. I think it helped also when I had teachers that were truly inspiring, they loved what they taught, and because of them you loved it too.

 This semester, in Myth, we watched a film, Finding Joe: The Hero's Journey, it was during our Hero section of the class so it really came as no surprise. However, the film had a strange effect on me. The entire time I watched it I had an overwhelming want to cry, I'm not sure why but I did. And it made me want to know my purpose in life and to go after it with everything I've got.


After watching the film in class, we were given an assignment, to talk about an event in our lives and then run it through the Hero's Journey. Here's mine:


My hero’s journey was my journey to finding and defining my idea of faith.
1.       The Call:
The summer before I was a sophomore in high school, my grandpa died. I was extremely close to him, and losing someone so close to me lead me on a really dark, and faithless path for three years.
2.       Fear:
After his death, everything I thought I knew was questioned. Not just faith but religion, because these had always been really important in my household. The biggest fear was not knowing what was going on, where to look to, and what to expect. Why would a just God doing something as damaging as allowing something like this happen when it was so unexpected. I was really angry and depressed and that scared me, because they were emotions I had never truly felt before.
3.       Road of Trials:
I had always been an active member of my church youth group and other activities along those lines and I went to church every Sunday. I started to pull out of the group and I stopped going to church regularly. I was pushed and pulled in every direction when it came to all things religious.
4.       Apotheosis:
My senior year of high school, my AP English teacher gave a prompt in which he asked us to write about a time in which we were greatly affected and to lead us up to the event and tell us everything about it, I chose to write about the death of my grandpa. Until that point, I had never really addressed the effect that my grandpa’s death had had on me. I surprised even myself with this realization.
5.       Battling of Dragon(s):
I think that there were probably quite a few dragons, every time I fought with my mom over a church function, or every time I fought with myself over what I was feeling but the biggest dragon was when I decided that I wanted to get a tattoo, which was for my grandpa. I begged my mom off and on for two years; she finally agreed that I could when I was 18. After that concession, I begged for her to get it with me. After some prodding, a few months after I turned 18, she finally agreed. So on June 16th, 2010, 4 years later on the anniversary of his death, my mom and I got our matching tattoos in honor of my grandpa on our wrists.
6.       The Return:
The tattoo was the last step after a long, sad journey back to my faith. This allowed me to give my grief a face and it allowed me to accept it finally, and start to move on. I have a constant reminder of our bond and I constantly get to answer questions about it, I think that’s my grandpa’s way of saying he’s still watching. I now have a renewed faith, it is stronger and different than before. Before I believed in God because I thought I had to, it was the way I was raised, after those years I now realized that my faith is entirely my own and it is what I make of it, it is no one else’s and no else needs to understand it, it’s my own personal relationship with God.


There's just something so cathartic about writing!
xoxo
Jordan 


1 comment:

  1. Fantastic film... I found an interview with the director, Pat Solomon recently that explains how he became the hero of his own story while making it (http://empiricalmag.blogspot.com/2012/12/from-empirical-archives-finding-your.html). Something interesting to look at if you liked the movie, definitely put it into perspective for me.

    ReplyDelete

Flashback Fashion Friday: January 2021

January 2021 was honestly a continuation of 2020... it was such a long ass month. At the end of the month, there was a power outage that las...