WCW #17: Ruby Divine Meets World

Our next Woman Crush Wednesday is an alumna of the Gamma Alpha chapter of Alpha Gamma Delta.

We met through social media, thank you INSTA Gods and previous WCW, Courtney!

Let's meet this week's WCW!


Meet Devin of Ruby Divine.
  • How long has Ruby Divine been around? Where did you come up with Ruby Divine?
Well, the idea for Ruby Divine has been around much longer than the store. I've always loved fashion and it's a serious part of who I am, but this just took on a life of its own. My mom and I had the idea a couple of years ago and we always just said to ourselves: we could do that. It was something my mom and I could do together, and it seemed like a good time! So, we gave it a try. Around February of this year we started looking seriously into and by the middle of May we were up and started!

Where do you draw your inspiration?

I draw my inspiration from trends that are happening now mostly. I also went to a huge southern university where the boho look was in full force and it was my style and my friends and I wanted to make something we all could enjoy and wear!

Is Ruby Divine what you’ve always wanted to do?

It's not what I've always wanted to do. It is along the same lines though, but I wouldn't even say this is my ending point for my career. My dream has always been to own my own brand and be my own person in this world. This is one stepping stone, but i’m still learning and collecting ideas to develop my ending point, but Ruby Divine will always be a huge part of that!


Make sure you check out their Instagram!

Who is your ideal audience?


My ideal audience is college students, mostly girls, but we are an all inclusive brands, and high school students, and moms looking to buy gifts or even just rejuvenate their style! 

Is anyone else involved with Ruby Divine?


My mother is heavily involved in this brand and I would not have gotten as far as I have without her encouragement, support, and wallet! 

Is this your sole job? If not, what else do you do? 

This is not my sole job. I am on summer break currently, but will go back to school in the fall. I will be starting Graduate School in the fall, full time. 



How do you handle stress?


As my mom could attest, I'm not very good at handling stress, but I'm trying to get better. Recently I have been meditating every day and it really just allows me to stay focused in the moment and appreciate what's going around me. I recently read something that said if you have anxiety, you are living in the future, but if you are at peace you are living in the moment. So I try to focus on what's in front of me, and cross things off my to­do list one at a time. 

How do you spread the word on your brand?


We are trying to be very active on social media, but we very much rely on the support from family and friends, and also word of mouth marketing. 



How important is social media to your brand?


Social media is vital to our brand, and I don’t think I would have gotten as far as I have gotten without Facebook and Instagram! It's hard to create a brand in the 21st century without proper use of those tools. I'm still not great at them and trying to learn everyday! 

How do you measure success?


I think I first told my best friend when we were starting out that if I sold one bracelet I would be happy, and now we've sold way more than that in such a short time, that measure of happiness has changed. I think my success and happiness with this business is measured on if I'm having fun with it and enjoying this.

What was your big break? 

We haven't really had a big break, just a lot of small wins along the way! We are getting there but it's not like everyday is easy. We work hard to ensure the long term success of this business, and there hasn't been a sudden surge or anything like that. At least not yet!
  • Where did you go to school and what for? 

I went to school at the University of Georgia and received my Bachelor’s of Business Management, but in the fall I will be attending Arizona State University and receiving a Master’s in Sports Journalism.

  • Are you a member of any organizations? Trade organization? etc. 
During my time in undergrad I was a member of the Alpha Gamma Delta sorority, and other small organizations on campus. I was heavily involved in my church at school as well. The summer has been a more relaxing time for me and I have been focusing more on Ruby Divine than getting involved! It I plan to get involved in more things when I leave for grad school this fall.


  • What did you want to be before you grew up?
For a while I didn't know what I wanted to be before I grew up, but when I think back on
it. I really liked the idea of being a fashion designer and being in the fashion world someway or another. But as I grew up I realized that's not what I wanted to be and that sports were my future along with jewelry which is my passion project.

  • What is your greatest professional achievement? 
I don't think I have one yet, just getting this started and following down the path that I feel I was meant to be on is my greatest professional achievement. Having the courage in the first place is an accomplishment in itself.

  • Do you have a mentor/mentee? 
My best friend started out as my mentee and I still call her that from time to time, but no formal mentees or mentors.


  • What advice can you give to others? 


My advice to others is: don't care what people think, they will have an opinion regardless and as long as you are doing right by your values and beliefs then you are doing right by yourself and that doesn't need anyone else's opinion.



  • What’s your guilty pleasure? 
My guilty pleasure is probably a night in with Netflix. I'm an extroverted introvert and I love my quiet time whether it's a movie night with my bet friend or just some parks and rec, I love to sit in my bed and watch tv.

  • What would be your dream job?
My dream job would be an on set reporter for ESPN or NHL for one of their syndicated shows. I love sports and that is my goal.

  • What’s the average day in the life of Devin?
There really is no average day at the moment. Over the summer there are too many things going on and extra jobs I'm working for their to be a normal routine in my life.

  • What’s your morning routine?
My morning routine is to wake up, slowly, and meditate. After meditating I take a shower and use my Rodan and Fields dermatology kit which has changed my skin. And then I eat breakfast and go about my day. I always joke with my friends that I want to be a runner and I've tried many times to become one. But this fall I will be adding running or exercise into my morning routing in order to make myself a runner.




  • Who is your fashion icon? 
My fashion icons are probably Selena Gomez and Zendaya, Selena Gomez is able to be so feminine so casually and Zendaya is always taking risks and doing something new and I love that.


  • How would you describe your personal style? 
My personal style doesn't really have an adjective it's just me and the things I like and what I think looks cute. It's who I am, and I think it's stylish or cute the ill wear it.


  • What is your ‘must have’ accessory? 
My must have accessory is the Ruby Divine Wrap Queen, it works as a necklace a choker and anything else you can think of. It's so versatile while maintaining an effortless style.

  • Why do you do what you do? 
I do what I do because it brings me and my mom closer together and when I am making jewelry I find my flow and the zen I need to lose track of time and have fun with what I do. 




Thanks Devin!

xo,

KJB

No comments:

Post a Comment

Flashback Fashion Friday: January 2021

January 2021 was honestly a continuation of 2020... it was such a long ass month. At the end of the month, there was a power outage that las...