WCW #7: CLC Fitness Meets World

It's Wednesday, which means it's time for another Woman Crush Wednesday!

I met Courtney three years ago at Alpha Gamma Delta's TLC. How fitting for Courtney to be our WCW, the day Convention starts! #AGDImagine16

Alpha Gamma Delta has contributed a lot to my life, including my friendship with Courtney! Once to meet her, I'm sure you'll love her too!

Meet Courtney of CLC Personal Fitness



  • How long have you been a trainer?
    • I have been training now since January, so just about 6 months! But this is a dream I’ve been working towards for over a year now.
  • Why did you start?
    • I began pursuing a career as a personal trainer after seeing firsthand how valuable access to a trainer and accurate health & fitness information is when you are making an immense lifestyle change. My own experiences drove me to want to provide that resource to others. 
  • Is this your sole job? If not, what else do you do?
    • No, I am first and foremost a 6th grade teacher. I absolutely LOVE teaching and cannot see myself leaving it - but personal training is a nice compliment to my flexible summer schedule!
  • Do you ever get stressed out?
    • Oh, of course! That is one of the main reasons I began seriously exercising in the first place. Regular exercise is one of the best stress-relievers that I have ever found. 
  • Have you always wanted to be a trainer?
    • If you had told high school (or even college) me that I would soon be an avid exerciser starting my own personal training company…I would have been in tears from laughing so hard. Exercising just wasn’t the priority that it should have been in my earlier years, and I used my busy schedule (and dislike of cardio) to excuse myself from working out. 
  • Is anyone else involved with CLC Personal Fitness?
    • I am the owner and sole operator of CLC Personal Fitness, but my mom has been invaluable in giving me business advice!
  • How important is social media?
    • Social media is incredibly important. I get new clients through word-of-mouth and recommendations, but also through the promotion that comes with social media. Sharing my own progress and workout tips on Instagram, sharing recipes on Facebook, tweeting fitness tips on my Twitter account….it all helps spread my brand and get exposure to potential new clients!
  • What is your end goal?
    • I aim to keep spreading health and fitness knowledge, and have some fun while I do so! I want this business to grow and be around for years to come. It also wouldn’t hurt to supplement my teaching income!
  • How do you determine success?
    • I see success as stepping out and trying something new, adventurous and exciting….and having fun doing it! There is no manual for “how to start your own business and get if off the ground while you work a full-time job” so I take the little victories and bumps in the road as they come. Learning from the unexpected events along the way will only help me in the future!
  • What’s your ‘pump up’ music?
    • I love the Rap & Hip Hop Pregame Pandora station. I really enjoy all types of music, but hip hop & pop tend to do the best job getting me amped up for a workout. But, to be completely honest….nothing beats a good, loud “Sorry” by JBiebs. :)
  • Any advice for others?
    • If you have a “baby dream”…explore it! It might not be easy and it might take a village, but if you don’t explore the possibility then you may never bring your awesome ideas to fruition! Just don’t be afraid to go for it. The universe will reward you :)
  • How do you spread the word about your brand?
    • I depend heavily on social media to spread the word. I also have business cards that I distribute, but in this age of technology it’s much easier to reach so many people on their newsfeed.

  • It takes a village, so who are your biggest supporters?
    • My trainer, Evan Childs, was a fantastic inspiration for me to enter the fitness industry. Evan was my coach for a few months last year, and I learned so many things from her about how to inspire, how to motivate, and how to live my  healthiest life. On my business journey, however, my mom has been my biggest champion. She has always been excited to hear about new developments, and is a pillar of strength when I have doubts or tough days. I didn’t get a degree in business, so this start-up process has not been easy. My mom has been full of ideas, support, and encouragement since day one.
  • What is your greatest professional achievement?
    • Honestly, I have to say that starting my own business in the midst of a full-time teaching career will be my greatest personal achievement. It’s an ever-evolving process and I don’t feel that it’s “done” yet, but I am pretty proud of the results so far.
  • What did you want to be before you grew up?
    • I’ve always known that I wanted to be a teacher! I subjected my little brother to playing hours of “school”…that poor child basically had school year-round because all I wanted to do during the summer was have “my own classroom”.
  • What would you say your personal brand is?
    • “Affordable personal training for every lifestyle.” Because this is not my full-time job, I do not depend solely on this for my income. This allows me to be more flexible with my prices and offer great personal training services at a lower price than you find them in a corporate gym. 
  • Do you have a mentor/mentee?
    • My old trainer, Evan Childs, really inspired me to make a lot of healthy changes in my life. She coached me into the healthiest routine I’ve had in years, helped me feel the most confident I’ve ever felt, and modeled by example how hard work and self-discipline are instrumental to success. I’m forever grateful for her influence and inspiration! 
  • What can others learn from you?
    • It is my hope that others can learn ambition, self-discipline, and hard work from me. I strive to help my clients develop a positive self-image as well as a positive attitude towards exercising and healthy eating. The more positivity, the better! :)
  • What’s your guilty pleasure?
    • My sweet tooth. Goodness, my sweet tooth. I LOVE desserts…all of them! Self-Discipline is a must or I will over-indulge. Also…the Bravo network on TV. Pretty much every show on Bravo, I have binged at some point!
  • What would be your dream job?
    • Honestly…what I’ve got going now is pretty close to the dream! Teaching full-time while building my fitness business. I hope to continue to be successful with both as the years pass.
  • What’s your average day look like?
    • It depends on whether school is in or out. If it’s a school day - up at 5:15, gym before work, at work by 7:45, teach my kiddos, leave work at 4:30, home by 5:30 (if I don’t have a client session that day). 
    • If it’s a summer day - up around 8:30, leisurely breakfast, check emails, hit the gym around midmorning, lunch & pool time, a client session (or 2!) in the afternoon/evening.
  • What can’t you leave home without?
    • My phone! I know that sounds so millennial of me, but I really need it - for client contact, business emails, social media promoting…etc. It’s my right-hand, my go-to.
  • What’s your morning routine?
    • Honestly, nothing glamorous. I shower and let my hair air-dry. Eyeliner and mascara, but nothing too bold in the makeup department. I have streamlined my morning routine to around 25 minutes…so that I can get extra sleep!
  • What advice can you give to young women?
    • Be bold. Don’t ignore ideas or passions that you have because you aren’t sure about them. Explore them anyway - at the very least, you will learn something new. Just because a new project doesn’t take off immediately doesn’t mean that it won’t ever take off!
  • What are your thoughts on our generation?
    • I think our generation is more harshly divided than generations before us. We have strong convictions and we stand by them - which is not a bad thing! But we can mute the opposing points of view, rather than listening to them…which is dangerous. 
  • Do you prefer text messages or phone calls?
    • Phone calls! All about hearing the other person’s voice.
  • Online dating or blind dates?
    • If I have to choose, I’d say blind dates. Both can be great, and both can be terribly awkward! Haha

  • Why do you do what you do?
    • For me, it all comes down to helping people make positive change. I am thankful that I had the mentors and experiences that I’ve had, and love helping others in that same way!

Thanks, Courtney!



xo,
KJB

No comments:

Post a Comment

Flashback Fashion Friday: January 2021

January 2021 was honestly a continuation of 2020... it was such a long ass month. At the end of the month, there was a power outage that las...