KJB's Tips to Buying a Car

I've had two cars up to this point in my life, at 16, mom bought me essentially from her school's "Craigslist", a red 1996 Saturn sedan. I had it from the summer before junior year until it died the spring break of my 4th year of college.

From there she bought me a blue grey, 2001 Ford Escape.

I had always wanted an SUV, power windows and locks.





I had this car from that spring break, Spring '14,  until the summer of my funemployment when it died after a job interview and once AAA got it up and running and I got it to a mechanic we learned it needed a new transmission.



If you know nothing about cars, like myself, know this-- the transmission is one of the most expensive parts to fix on a car.

So the Ford sat behind our garage for a year, while I tried to save money- and fail- and mom and I shared her car... for a year.

Then in June or July of 2016- mom paid to get me a new transmission.

If you haven't figured it out yet- my mother is a saint.

After that- and having one or two lectures about the safety of the car from my mom and my best friend's dad not to mention a rental car- I started my search for a car...

I learned a lot along this journey and want to share it with you.

This is the part where I say: Do as I say and not as I did- because well I know how it should be done- I didn't necessarily practice what I preached.


  1. SAVE SAVE SAVE
    1. The more money you put down on a downpayment the lower the monthly payment. I suggest $1,000 but... you should know I didn't have that much- it worked out.
    2. HAVE GOOD CREDIT
      1. Pay your bills on time
        1. You're not dinged until you're 30 days late from your due date!
      2. Have a credit history
      3. Don't let every dealership check it, oops.
    3. Know what you can afford
      1. BE REALISTIC
        1. I wrote down all my bills in a month then calculated how much I make between two paychecks and went from there.
        2. Have a minimum, a likely $$$ and a maximum. STICK TO IT!
    4. Compile a list of features your dream car would have:
      1. Rear camera
      2. Bluetooth connectivity
      3. Cruise control
      4. steering wheel controllers
    5. RESEARCH
      1. Go online: Kelly Blue Book! 
        1. Go ole KKB.com, it is LIFE and find cars close to you
      2. Look for 35,000 miles or less- mine was 53,000.
      3. Look for a car 2-3 years old if you're looking at a used car. 
        1. 3 years is when cars' depreciation starts to slow down.
      4. Buy v. Lease
        1. Have that decision made before you go to the dealership
        2. I bought because I wanted to be able to drive my car any and every where with no restraints.
        3. Leasing is nice because you give it back after 1-2 years. But you have to be conscious of the miles you put it on it.
          1. It's a brand new car!
Know that basically this is a deep, dark rabbit hole you're about to fall into.

Be prepared to sell your soul...

But now you're really an adult.

xo,

KJB



If you have any tips to add- leave a comment below! 

2 comments:

  1. I'm planning to buy a new car for my daughter and I read your car buying tips which will help me. I note down your tips and I will follow your tips before car buying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this quality post. Thumbs up!.Visit this

    ReplyDelete

Flashback Fashion Friday: January 2021

January 2021 was honestly a continuation of 2020... it was such a long ass month. At the end of the month, there was a power outage that las...