WCW #4: 1800PopCultureBling Meets World

Another day, another dollar- another Wednesday, another HOLLA! Here's this week's WCW to celebrate fabulous female friendships! 

Have you met the last 3 WCWs on KJB Meets World?! Don't fret, you can see them here, here, and here!

But this week's Woman Crush Wednesday is a hoot, and you won't want to miss her... So here we go!


  • What's going on in pop culture right now that you feel passionately about?
I don't really know what's going on. Literally the only way I know pop culture is memes. There's the whole political thing, but that's very private to me. Obvi the Stanford rape case gets me up in arms as should any woman. Totally digging the Ashley Graham cellulite pic and the conversations it started. And of course the Aerie real models being so active on social media. Hmm- I don't know anything that's going on. The only thing I'm passionate about right now is Cleveland finally winning a Championship! 

In summation: body positivity, women's RESPECT & Cleveland sports. 

Meet Sarah Comunale from 1800PopCultureBling:

Follow along on Instagram!




1800PopCultureBling:

   1800PopCultureBling is such a neat treat, how did you come up with this idea?
      A neat treat! I like that. The whole idea came about when I was making Christmas gifts for people and I was like “Huh! I could sell these!” and then I looked up what people were selling and felt that I could photoshop better than what was on the “market” (Humble brag). Then BOOM! 1800PopCultureBling was born. Going back even further, my whole prayer candle angel came from the fact that when I was looking up something about Dolly Parton & I saw on of her and I HAD TO HAVE IT. That year, my mom got them for all the women in our family.

   Where do you draw your inspiration?
      For 1800PopCultureBling? Mostly music, if I hear an artist I like, I make a candle for them. If I hear some great lyrics, I make a card. But a heavy influence is my friends and peers. I started all this because I was making gifts for people so I let them influence a lot. I do a lot of Instagram stalking (For shop purposes – Not just dating purposes! Hehe)

   Have you always wanted to do this?
      Not really, it was more something I happened upon. But then again, I’ve always wanted to find something fun that uses a lot of my skills that I don’t get to apply at my day job and this definitely fulfilled that.

   Who have helped you get where you are?
      One of the things I like about this project, is that it’s MY thing. It’s something I decided to do and am doing. My friends and family definitely play a huge role when it comes to encouragement and being a sounding board.

   How do you spread the word about your brand?
      I am sort of the worst at that! I mostly rely on filling a need and people searching my product on Google or Etsy. I do do little things though. I have a Facebook page & an Instagram that I try to keep fairly updated. But life has kind of gotten in the way lately. I really need to get back to doing some marketing.

   How important is social media?
      Hell, social media is everything in 2016. But, like I said, my kitsch market is surprisingly need based. So I’m still trying to figure out what my social media presence should exactly be. This project is definitely a learning experience more than anything else.

   Who is your ideal customer?
      That’s what I love about 1800PopCultureBling – My ideal customer is a music lover and that’s the only thing that matters. I get so many different people buying things that I’m always like this isn’t what I expected when I started this. I’ve had so many awesome customers who have given so feedback and have communicated which has really made this a fun project.







Personal:

   What else do you do besides 1800PopCultureBling for work?
      I’m a Technical Designer. So basically, I figure out how things should fit and make sure they fit properly before they end up on the floor. Which is everything in my specialty, women’s intimates. It’s not what I thought I wanted to do when I was 3, but I think it’s the perfect fit. It’s still Design, but it’s driven by a certain level of logic. I love it because I get to save my creative energy for personal projects, like 1800PopCultureBling.

   What can others learn from you?
      I always joke that I am the queen of “Do as I say, not as I do.” I mess up A LOT. I do crazy things on whim. But, I learn so much from these things. So I guess that’s it – take a risk & follow it through. Even if it doesn’t end up how you excepted, it makes you who you are. I’m really bad about being afraid to be wrong a lot (especially at work), so I don’t take risks or speak my mind. Those are the only times I really want to kick myself for something I’ve done or haven’t done.

   What advice do you have on failure?
      Run towards it head first! Fail, fail, fail! Perfection is bullshit – It’s a myth. Why waste your energy on something unachievable and have no fun?
      I mean, look at me, I’m 24: employed, single, & living 1000 miles from home. But even 4 years ago, I couldn’t get an internship for the life of me. But I kept trying – and failing. Eventually, I landed some great internships, but I still graduated without a job offer. Which was the best thing that could have happened to me because I was available for the perfect opportunity for me. And I wouldn’t have been right for the opportunity had I not had some weird “unconventional” co-ops. And I’m single, but I keep trying to find my perfect fit like my job. And that failure can be fun or at least make a funny story for my friends. Sometimes it hurts, but that’s how I learn, so I can’t complain.

   What are effective time management skills?
      Oh boy – I’m such a procrastinator, next question? I’m kidding! Only about the next question part. For me, the most important skill is knowing yourself and knowing how you work. Once I figured out that I was good at doing this thing in advance, but I always waited to the last minute to do this thing, and so on, I began making to do lists based on this. My To Do list is my best friend at work. I print out my daily calendar every morning and hand write my to do list, marking things off when they’re completed, then at end of day, my team and I go over what’s still outstanding and our plan of attack for the next day. So far, it’s working great for us.

   What is your greatest personal achievement?
      This is tough – I’m proud of my career, of course, I worked my ass off and it paid off. I wasn’t sure it would all work out for so much of the journey, it’s huge to me that I am where I am. But I’m also proud of my friendships I’ve held onto. My second job, in my mind, is being a good friend and holding onto the people that I love. The fact that I have such an amazing network is my most brag-worthy thing about me. 

   What’s your guilty pleasure?
      Just one? I’m a food person. I LOVE food (& drink). My escape is a drink and a nice meal with someone I enjoy. But, if you ask some of my ex-boyfriends, they’ll say it’s clothing and if you ask my grandma, it’s shoes. I have very little self control when it comes to extending my wardrobe. Oh, sheesh, and kind of boys…  I love that beginning feeling (I love the hey this is working feeling, too, but that’s been AGES). 

   Who is your fashion icon?
      Easiest question EVER: Fran Fine. To me, fashion should be fun and playful. When I was little, I wanted to grow up and be Betsey Johnson. Fran Fine encompassed everything fun and wasn’t afraid to be goofy and I think we could all take a page!

   How would you describe your personal fashion style?
      A.D.D.? (It’s not being mean, I really have A.D.D.!) But really, to me, my style is all over the place. But I have friends who say that they see something and think: That is SO Sarah. So maybe it’s more refined than I think.
      For me, fit is the number one thing. I have a hard to fit body type and some SERIOUS body insecurities, so I shop for things that fit me in a way that I feel confident. So I lean towards body conscious skirts and dresses for work. Then when I’m at home, I’m going through a HUGE “athleisure” phase, but I also like things with a boho feel. My “party” clothes are an inbetween of work Sarah and home Sarah. Now, don’t even get me started on my closet of dressy gowns that I will never wear again, but I can’t part with.

   What are your thoughts on fast fashion?
      We have a love/hate relationship that leads towards hate. When I buy something, I want to invest in it. I’ve been wearing some of the same pieces since I was 13. However, there are some things that I know won’t be in forever and then fast fashion is the best way for me to explore it. Even today, I’m wearing a Forever 21 dress (super rare for me), that I LOVE. It’s a great piece. So I constantly have to remind myself to give fast fashion a chance because it can really fill the gaps in your wardrobe.

   Do you prefer text messages or phone calls?
      I am such a texter! Talking on the phone makes me so nervous. That being said, a key part of my week is “Crappy Hour”. S/O to Momma Fran for that term. But it’s “Happy Hour” over the phone with a drink and a close friend. So it’s all about who I’m talking to! 

   Online dating v. blind dates?
 Ugh! Haha, but really: ugh. I’ve never been on a blind date, so I can’t really speak to it. But that’s because my friends know me well enough to know that they couldn’t (and shouldn’t) try and set me up, I suppose. And online dating SUCKS. But it’s a real part of my reality being out in Texas on my own. And I’ve met some super cool dudes through it, but, goodness gracious, so many frogs! (Luckily I have avoided having to kiss most of the frogs.) I feel more comfortable with online dating because I have more power than if I were on a blind date. I get to (superficially) pick the guy and do some screening before I have to be stuck with them for a whole drink – That’s my rule: only drink dates, if they extend it’s great, but I always have an out. Plus, I appreciate the dude who will just skip the small talk and ask me out! In my perfect world, I could only meet boys through acquaintances. Then again, that hasn’t always worked out so well… So I don’t know! None? All of the above? Wow, I need a drink now!

  •  How do you make a lasting impression?
Be genuine. I can’t really sit here and say “Oh! I’m great at making lasting impressions,” but I can speak to the                      people who have impacted me. A sincere smile could stay with me longer than some conversations. So when I meet some or am getting to know someone, I try to channel the people who have stuck with me. I make a real effort to make whoever I’m talking with feeling the only person/people in a room. Someday, I would love for someone to say that about me, “Sarah made me feel special” (Even if it was just for a few minutes). But then again, maybe it’s just about a smile.  

DAAP Fashion Show
    Why do you do what you do?
      That’s a loaded question! The reason I do anything, though, is because I want to. It was an empowering thing about becoming an “adult” (Loose term). I realized I should only be doing something if I want to do it. And that doesn’t mean I only do fun or frivolous things, it just means I only do things I believe in or that will help people important to me.



Thanks Sarah!


xo,

KJB

No comments:

Post a Comment

Flashback Fashion Friday: January 2021

January 2021 was honestly a continuation of 2020... it was such a long ass month. At the end of the month, there was a power outage that las...