WCW #12: Suz Meets World




I had the pleasure of meeting the fabulous Susan Claasen when she came to the opening weekend of Edith Head & Company: Costumes and Jewelry, 29124-2015! She is such a hoot, and I was given TWO 'Edith Head Approved' stickers of two different occasions of course-- *hair flip*.



  • How long have you been re-creating the persona of Edith Head?
I premiered my show in 2002.

  • How did you come up with this?

I first got the idea for this project fourteen years ago. I was watching a television biography of Edith Head and I literally did a double take. My physical resemblance to Edith Head seemed uncanny. The more I watched, the more I knew there was a story to be told. My research indicated that no theatrical production had been done on Edith Head, so I proceeded. Edith Head’s estate was managed by the Motion Picture and Television Fund. I contacted the fund and was granted permission to pursue this project.  I madly read anything I could find when I discovered Paddy Calistro’s book Edith Head’s Hollywood. I decided to try to locate its author. I dialed telephone information where I thought Paddy lived, and voilĂ , she was listed. I placed the phone call and it was kismet. At our first meeting in Los Angeles, we knew the connection was right and we agreed to collaborate. Paddy had not only written the book, but had inherited thirteen hours of taped interviews with Edith Head—it was truly a gift from heaven. We can honestly say that A CONVERSATION WITH EDITH HEAD is based upon the words and thoughts of Edith Head—the “Edith-isms”.

With Paddy’s connections we received the blessings of The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. They prepared a reel of film clips of Miss Head’s appearances. I was able to study her physical traits. The way she walked, a tilt of the head, how she gestured - really, how she carried herself.  I also studied her speech patterns and rhythms.  She had been a school teacher so she had distinct way of speaking - clipped and to the point!   I work with a voice and movement coach in order to constantly perfect the details of her mannerisms and vocal qualities.  My studying in ongoing. 

I remember seeing Edith Head on television when I was a child. I was aware of her work when I would see “Gowns by Edith Head” but I wasn’t really aware of her as a person. Some of the common misconceptions are that she lacked a sense of humor and that she was rigid. You rarely hear about her charitable efforts and her kindness and mentoring of other designers.She was extremely charitable and provided many opportunities for other designers. In fact, she was one of the founders of the Costume Designers Guild and an early member of Fashion Group International (1935) 


  • Where do you draw your inspiration?

Everywhere!

  • What were you doing before Edith Head?

I have been artistic Director of Invisible Theatre in Tucson, Arizona for 42 years! I, of course, started when I was 3 (LOL).   Here is a bit of what I have been doing.

Susan Claassen is celebrating her 42nd anniversary with Invisible Theatre.  As Managing Artistic Director, she has produced over 400 productions and directed over 90 including THE LETTERS.  Suz was nominated for the 2011 LA Stage Alliance Ovation Award and BroadwayWorld LA Award as Best Actress and received the Phoenix New Times Award for her portrayal of Edith Head in A CONVERSATION WITH EDITH HEAD (www.edithhead.biz).  She was most recently seen as Olive in IT’s OLIVE AND THE BITTER HERBS and won the 2014 MAC Award for Best Actress in a comedy.  Suz was selected as one of Arizona’s “48 Most Intriguing Women”, is a member of the League of Professional Theatre Women and has been a clown in the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade since 2001.  She has been a proud member of Actors’ Equity Association since 1969 and dedicates her work to the living memory of her beloved mother, Goldie.

  • Is anyone else involved with A Conversation with Edith Head?

A CONVERSATION WITH EDITH HEAD
by Paddy Calistro and Susan Claassen
Miss Head’s Host
STUART MOULTON

Production Design
JAMES BLAIR and SUSAN CLAASSEN
Technical Director and Company Manager
JAMES BLAIR
Wig Design by RENATE E. LEUSCHNER

Voice and Movement Director
DIANNE J. WINSLOW

Costume Recreations
CHRIS BREWER and MARYANN TROMBINO




My deepest appreciation goes to everyone who helped make my dream a reality. Heartfelt thanks go to the incredible Invisible Theatre staff and board, and my loving friends and colleagues here and around the world who have been a major source of support. My enormous gratitude goes to James Blair whose technical expertise, ingenious insights, treasured friendship and unwavering commitment have helped realize all aspects of this production, and to my dearest Bella, who makes all things possible. I am also immensely grateful to Paddy Calistro, a dream collaborator and cherished friend and, of course, to the incomparable Edith Head, whose life and legacy are truly inspiring ...


  • Are you a member of any organization? Trade organization? etc.

Actors Equity Association, League of Professional Theatre Women, 
Costume Society of America



  • What did you want to be before you grew up?


A lawyer was what I listed in my grammar school yearbook!

  • How did you advance your career?

Hard work and tenacity and investing back into the community.


  • How do you make a lasting impression?
I hopefully make a lasting impression by being true to myself. I also adhere to Edith Head’s quote, “You can be anything you want in life as long as you dress for it!”


  • Who is your fashion icon?


Edith Head, of course! I also adore Iris Apfel.


  • Why do you do what you do?

I do what I do because I love it!




Thanks Susan!

xo,

KJB





No comments:

Post a Comment

Flashback Fashion Friday: January 2021

January 2021 was honestly a continuation of 2020... it was such a long ass month. At the end of the month, there was a power outage that las...