WCW: Ashleigh Meets World


Meet Ashleigh~ 




Can you tell me about your background? School?


  • I went to Capital University for my B.A in Environmental Science and Biology. I currently am in the Environmental Science Graduate Program (ESGP) at The Ohio State University and I’m working towards my Master’s in Environmental Science and hope to graduate next May ☺



What do you do for a living?


  • I work as a Graduate Research Assistant (GRA) for the Civil, Environmental, and Geodetic Engineering Department. I get paid to do very interesting (in my opinion lol) research related human exposures to microorganisms while indoors. Basically, we look at house dust from people’s homes and analyze what is living there as far as bacteria and mold, and if there is any relation to asthma severity.  


If you’re not doing it, what would your dream job be?
  • I have always wanted to work at the Environmental Protection Agency. I think protecting our planet has a direct link to the well-being of those of us who live here. Even though I am a science nerd, I think my goals are still people oriented. I want to help as many people as I can, and choosing a field in science gives me a platform to help create things that can impact humans in a positive way.


How important is social media to your business?
  • Even though I don’t have a business, social media is important to science because it is a way to share ideas and bring attention to things I feel is important. In this era of “alternative facts” I think getting the word out about the facts and evidence is very important.


 What would you say is your personal brand is?
  • Anyone who knows me knows I’m passionate about the environment, and cats of course (I have 5 lol). I’m very “Bopey” so I’ve been told haha whatever that means. I think just goofy and easy going, but also straight and to the point.


What can others learn from you?
  • I think others can look at me and see that hard work and determination pays off. Also, you don’t have to be all work and no play to get anywhere in life. I have goals and aspirations that I work hard for, but I also know how to have a good time. Balance is something I always strive for, and I hope people can learn that from me.


How do you do under pressure? How do you handle stress?
  • Pressure motivates me. Without is I don’t think I would be able to get anything done. As a graduate student, I have encountered more pressure than I ever thought possible. It’s stressful but it has taught me to just roll with it, do what you can and take pride in what you do and end the end people recognize hard work and dedication when they see it.


What’s the average day in the life of Ashleigh look like?
  • Hahahaha I have no average days it seems like lately. I am probably up early to finish up homework I didn’t do the night before. Then I drink at least 2 cups of coffee and fight the traffic downtown to get to OSU. Once I’m there I’m either in class, the lab or at my desk. Then to end the day I’m either working out or working my second job at a tanning salon. There is never a dull moment, and there is still usually enough time left to fit in a few Netflix episodes at the end of the day.


Do you/Did you have a mentor/mentee?
  • In the academic world, I think there is a sense of camaraderie among everyone and that provides an environment where everyone can learn something from someone else. I appreciate my advisor Karen Dannemiller specifically. She has taught me so much in a little under a year. Also, I get to work with undergraduate students a lot too. It is great to see knowledge and ideas flow from my advisor to me and then in return to younger students.


How did you advance your career?
  • I got very, very lucky haha. I think that I have a general sense of where I want to go with my life, but I think it is important to constantly stay open to opportunities that may come your way. The graduate program I am in was very out of my comfort zone at first, and I wasn’t sure it was a good fit. But I took on the challenge anyway and I have learned so much and gotten so far because of it. I think patience is key, because as much as you want something to work out the right opportunity usually comes your way when you least expect it.


Why do you do what you do?
  • I do scientific research because I am very curious, and coming up with ideas to test in the lab is a very creative process for me. I feel like it is a way to express myself, and it helps me work towards my goal of helping people.


How would you describe your personal style?
  • A little bit hippie, and little bit science nerd. Basically, I like to blend different styles to create something comfortable and simple, yet still has a unique element to it. I like to be original, so you will probably see me wearing white after Labor Day lol



What makes up your wardrobe?
  • Leggings as pants. That’s all I’ll say lol


What is your ‘must have’ accessory?
  • Ear buds lol


What advice can you give others that look towards you to gauge success?
  • Only look towards yourself to gauge success. Everyone has a different path and a different journey. I think happiness is a good way to gauge success. Because if you’re truly happy, even through all the struggles life throws at you, I think you are doing the right things.


What advice can you give on failure?
  • Failure makes us who we are. A successful person has failed many, many times. And I am no different. Learn from mistakes and failures and grow as a person.


What was your big break?
  • On the last day to be accepted into my graduate program my current advisor called me to have a phone interview and offered me a place in her lab. Just when I had lost hope on this path, life turned right around and gave me exactly what I wanted.  In that moment, it felt like all my hard work up until that point had finally paid off.


Are you a member of any organizations? Trade Organizations, etc.
  • I’m in the Environmental Science Graduate Program


What’s next for you? 

  • Great question haha. I have thought about getting my PhD, but that seems like a lot of work right now. When I graduate next May I will probably go on the job search, and hey maybe I’ll end up at the EPA like I’ve always dreamed of doing.
Thanks, Ashleigh!

xo,
KJB

No comments:

Post a Comment

Flashback Fashion Friday: January 2021

January 2021 was honestly a continuation of 2020... it was such a long ass month. At the end of the month, there was a power outage that las...