WCW: B Sage Meets World

Happy Wednesday! Meet this week's Woman Crush Wednesday, Bianca of B Sage Studios! 



Can you tell me about your background? School? What set you up for this endeavor?

As most tales go, it all started when I was a just a tot. Growing up, it was rare to find me doing something other than being creative. Whether it was creating art or remodeling my Barbie's house eight times a day or making up roller skate dances to the Spice Girls, I always had to be "making something". I knew I wanted to be a designer by the age of twelve, and I have been pretty hell-bent on doing just that ever since. I went to Ohio University and graduated with a B.A. of Studio Art and a certificate of Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies. I started B. Sage Studios around the time that I graduated, even though it had been a brain-child for several years prior. I'm also currently working on a side certificate concentrating on the supply chain in the fashion industry. One day I'd like to go back to school to get my Masters, and maybe even a PhD. 


If you’re not doing it, what would your dream job be?

I would say that I'm doing a form of my dream job, but what I do currently for my company isn't necessarily the end of the road. I love what I do right now, but I could see myself doing other types of creative businesses as well. My biggest thing is that I want to work for myself. I've never liked working for others; I've always felt hindered. 
If I wasn't working for myself though, my dream job(s) would be either a retail window display designer, like for Bergdorf's, a creative director for photoshoots, or a layout designer for an indie fashion magazine. 


How important is social media to your business?

Social media for my business, and any business right now, is crucial. It’s my least favorite part of my job. I've yet to master any S.M. skills, but I still do what I can. About 98% of my business is done in person, face-to-face, which I find to be rare even with small businesses these days. But, I've also seen the importance of what social media can do. If it wasn't for Facebook or Instagram posts, people wouldn't know where to find my next market or show, or when a new product comes out. People are so dependent on getting their news from online, so we businesses, like it or not, have to adapt to making it part of our routine to be omnipresent to some extent. 


 What would you say is your personal brand is?

Oh, the personal brand question. It's a hard one to answer sometimes, as we are all such complex beings. I guess if I had to describe myself as a brand it would be the black-sheep. Or a bi-polar brand. I'm really defiant, but extremely loyal. I'm weird, but alluring. I'm a hot mess, but very OCD. I'm super sarcastic, but friendly. I’m a dreamer, but I'm a realist. I’m a really private person, but I will talk your ear off. I’m motherly, but I'll tell you like it is. I'm proudly an INTJ personality type; if you tell me I can't do something, it's all the more motivation for me to do it 10-times better. My personal brand is just about staying true to myself.

And I'm a crazy cat lady. 


What can others learn from you?

I feel like I should have a deep meaningful answer for this that would be super enlightening and change someone's life.
I do what I do. And, I have a lot of people come to me seeking advice and questions about what I do. Most of the time others want to know just the general ins-and-outs of what it's like to start a business. I'm always happy to help teach others and pass along any wisdom I've gained. I also think I learn a lot from the people who ask me for advice, too. Somewhere in the conversations we both end up learning something new. 






How do you do under pressure? How do you handle stress?

When I read this question I immediately knew how to answer it. But for fun, I asked my husband how he thinks I do under stress. His reply was "hmpshahaha!" And he’s exactly right.  
I’d be lying if I said I handle stress well. But, it also depends on the situation. I'm usually one extreme or another. If it's an internal conflict I'm usually freaking out, panic attack style. But, if it's an external conflict, let's say with a customer or something like that, I'm pretty collective and can delegate matters calmly. No matter my stress level, though, I don't let it stop me. I just push through it, and normally it all comes together and works out. 


What’s the average day in the life of Bianca look like?

Depends on the day. The first half of the week I focus on my household and family. I do errands like grocery shopping, food prepping, laundry, and cleaning. Thursdays-Sundays are all about work. I spend the days making product, prepping for markets, scheduling Facebook posts, editing the website, and going to markets and shows to sell. It may not sound like a ton, but it's a lot of physical activity. I'm not sure people understand how much goes into it all. Customers only see the final booth display, or website. They don't see that it can take hours to do new graphics for the website, or that I spend days redesigning my booth display and signage depending on what show I'm doing next. There are a lot of lists that are made and stacked on my desk. I love it, though. 



Do you/Did you have a mentor/mentee?

I've never had a mentor per-say. I grew up admiring my mom. She has had a lot thrown her way, but she handles life like a boss. And my husband is my number one supporter; he inspires me daily. There were a couple college professors I had that were awesome and pushed me to just do. One moment in particular sticks out to me. I remember presenting an assignment proposal to my graphics prof. I was really nervous that he was going to think it was a stupid idea, because before him I had some pretty mentally-abusive instructors (welcome to art school!). He said "Do you know what you are biting off? This is a lot of work. But, if there is anyone that can pull this off, it's you." Two weeks later I turned that assignment in, early, and after looking it over he smiled and said "Keep doing this. Don't ever stop. This is awesome!" That was the first time I had a professor believe in me in that way, and it didn't happen until my senior year. It really changed my perspective, and I started believing in myself. To this day, I utilize that project's principles in my business.


How did you advance your career?

I quit my day job. I decided it was time to either sink or swim. I was doing B. Sage on the side while I was working full time for an art museum. One day I just knew it was time to let go of the security blanket. It was the only way to give my company full attention and figure out its true potential. That was almost two years ago.


Why do you do what you do?

It just feels right. It’s the only thing that makes sense to me. I've tried imagining doing something else, and my mind literally goes blank. 




How would you describe your personal style?

I always joke around that I dress like a 13-year-old boy that maybe collided with an artist from the 70s. Haha. As much as I love clothes and dressing for different occasions, at the end of the day, my job dictates what I wear. My job consists of hauling things around, setting up dirty tents, getting rained on, wind-blown, and sweating in 94-degree weather. It's not pretty. I have to be comfortable and functional. When I can, though, I like to dress up in something funky. I like to be feminine, but a little gritty at times, too. I'd also like to think my personal style has evolved into being more about my attitude and my intelligence over the clothes I wear. I think that is where real style really comes from. 


What makes up your wardrobe?

Most of my clothes are either vintage or second-hand. I can't even remember the last time I bought new clothes. If I do, though, it's because I know I will wear it to pieces. I try to be a conscious consumer.


Who is your fashion icon?

Joan Jett. Or Debbie Harry. I love how both have this sort of juxtaposition of masculinity and femininity in their own ways. Plus, when I put on a leather jacket, I too feel like a total badass. 


What do you feel is your greatest accomplishment?

I don't know that I've had one particular great accomplishment. I've had a few that I'm pretty proud of: graduating college, starting a business, getting married, opening a store. They all fill certain areas of my life in different ways. 




What is your ‘must have’ accessory?

It may sound gushy, but my wedding band is the most meaningful thing I wear. So, it's a must for me. After that, either a necklace or if it's winter, a scarf. I also love a good lip color.


What advice can you give others that look towards you to gauge success?

My advice on success is not to gauge success by others. Don't ever compare yourself to anyone else. It's hard not to, but remember the grass is always greener on the other side. Your goals for your business will not be the same as another business, so it doesn't seem quite fair to compare. The best way to be successful is to have a clear idea what YOU want YOUR business to be, and run with that. 


What advice can you give on failure?

Failure sucks. And it will inevitably happen at some point, in some way. I'm a super prideful person, so when I've had a failure it feels like a punch in the face. I think that if I fail I will have to explain it to the world. But, I've been working on understanding that it's not really the world's business if you decide to change your mind, your business structure, or decide to just quit and do something else altogether. It's all acceptable. And it's healthy to know when to cut your losses, because there will be losses. Failure is just an ugly term for "something better is coming". Failure is only ever really failure if you don't learn from your experience and implement it into the next thing. 


What was your big break?

I'm not sure my "big break" has come yet. I just take the little experiences I have and keep chugging along. 


Are you a member of any organizations? Trade Organizations, etc.

I'm not currently a part of any organizations, unless you count the marketplaces that I sell at. Each one has become like its own little community, where all the vendors just help each other out, and the customers become friends with us. 



What’s next for you?

Hopefully something awesome and full of cats!

But seriously, only time will tell what the future holds. I've been working on building a blog for a few months, The Little Green Room, which is more of a personal project focusing on creative living and personal adventure. It will be launching soon, and I’d like to see it build over time. I'd also like to open another store front when I find the right space for B. Sage. 


Thanks, Bianca!

xo,
KJB

Keep up with Bianca and B Sage here:

My personal Instagram: @bianca.sage
My personal blog website: www.thelittlegreenroomblog.wordpress.com  
B. Sage Studios Instagram: @bsagestudios
B. Sage Studios website: www.bsagestudios.com
B. Sage Studios Facebook: www.facebook.com/bsagestudios

No comments:

Post a Comment

Flashback Fashion Friday: January 2021

January 2021 was honestly a continuation of 2020... it was such a long ass month. At the end of the month, there was a power outage that las...