In A Post-Beyoncé Society


"My campaign platform lives and dies by glitter, Alexis. Just think of the janitorial clean up as me bringing more jobs to the people."
Alexis and Ashley

Episode 1, The Story of Our Lives

Episode 2, #FamSquad

Episode 3, Shady Hawkins
High school is a strange beast. With my transmission being out, I've been carpooling with mom to work- we leave the house before 6:30 and I don't work til 9... so naturally I take a nap- the other day I couldn't because the youths were too loud and the people watching was just too good! While being invisible, people don't normally peer into cars as they pass, I was able to see the strange juxtaposition of youths that make up high school. Honestly- the randomness that is a high school student body is baffling. There was a kid with Sperrys and tall Nike socks! Girls in heels (they are the Pretty Little Liars generation, I suppose), and girls in leggings- which made me wonder- had leggings been a thing when I was in school, would that have been allowed- I mean they barely liked seeing our shoulders, for crying out loud (what even is that saying?!).

That's when I realized, I never have to go back to school again. Sometimes I forget, I'm no longer that awkward teenager that I was in high school. Now, I'm an awkward 23 year old- but I like to think it's a part of my personality and rather endearing, but it's strange how far removed I am from my high school persona.

That's what makes The Ashley and Alexis Show, so fun and refreshing!
The show "follows two high school sophomores on their quest to escape mundane suburban life by way of internet fame. Starting their very own YouTube show, Ashley and Alexis tackle the pressing issues of their lives- from dramatic families to unrequited crushes to (a lack of) adequate sex education. Ashley and Alexis are just trying to live their best lives in a post-Beyoncé society, and maybe get noticed by the executives at E! somewhere along the way."
It was created by my talented sorority sister, Samantha Reid, filmed and edited by Jonathan Zuluaga, Ashley is played by Jane O'Neil and Alexis is played by Jenny Horton. The fantastically catchy music is by Brandon Olafsson and the Title Art is by Elise Paluszak. If you enjoy YouTube or pop culture references, you'll love this! There is honestly something for everyone. The Ashley and Alexis show has it all, and all in 5 minutes. It premiered this past Wednesday night and they delivered us 3 episodes! Each one is more fantastical and magical than the last. Honestly- I've watched each episode at least 3 times, max 5- and I laugh harder and find more to love each go around. I even made my sister watch it, and if you know Jade- she's picky and she loved it. Which really is a ringing endorsement.

O'Neil and Horton are unbelievably believable as Ashley and Alexis, I just know that our 16 year old selves would've been friends. It is nice to get a real talk representation of the 16 year old, feminine mystique-- I can only hope that teenagers find this and love it as much as I do, cause I think it could do a world of good for people who all too often feel alone and like the world is just too hard, cause let's be honest- in your early teens, when you're going through something for the first time- it does genuinely feel like no one else has been there before. It's only the first 3 episodes and while it's funny- there's depth in the undertones- families/home lives: latch key kids v. divorce v. a modern family, the way women dress affecting men mattering more than women being comfort enough to learn, women supporting other women, and of course Beyoncé.



"She's still caught up in the juvenile notion that being mean to other girls somehow makes her a better girl, which is totally 2008."
Premiere Night


"Things tend to go better when women work together rather than fighting over who can be in charge... like group projects and Congress."

Director/Writer/Producer, Sam and Photographer, Jonathan

Premiere Night
I see good things coming from this creative minds and this wonderful show. I'll be singing it's praises for a long time to come. I know that I'm excited to see what's next- because in the first 3 episodes we've covered a multitude of topics!
"We're doing out best to practice Feminism."
Catch a new episode of the Ashley and Alexis show every Wednesday at 10/9cst!


xo,

KJB



No comments:

Post a Comment

Flashback Fashion Friday: January 2021

January 2021 was honestly a continuation of 2020... it was such a long ass month. At the end of the month, there was a power outage that las...