KJB's Greek Spiel

As people are starting to gear up to go back to school, my mother would cringe if she knew I just said that, I wanted to talk about Going Greek... Because we all know that I'm for anyone and everyone having a great college experience, and mine came from going greek. 


I love being an Alpha Gamma Delta. Just look here, here, and here or even here, I mean the list goes on and on. Really feel free to look through the archives. I had the great experience as a collegiate sorority woman. I made the best of friends in my sorority and in Greek life as a whole.



Coming Home on Bid Day

Formal '14

Our October philanthropy event, Octoberfest




Fall '14 Alumnae


Bey and Hov

Red, Buff and Green Ceremony

Gam Fam at Feast of Roses

BFF

12/13/14

Alumnae Christmas Party


Gam Fam after Initiation

My Little


Marie


Courtney




Scott Disick, Hov, Bey, && Kourtney Kardashian

Something I still love to do is talk to perspectives about going greek. That was definitely one of my favorite parts about being a Rho Gam this past fall.

The other day at work, I was talking to my coworker about her going greek upon her returning to school this fall. We discussed NPHC v. NPC. While I don't know much about NPHC, so I could only speak from personal experience. When I was a freshman, I never really considered going that route. Then as a sophomore, when I decided going greek was what I really wanted to do, I decided to do it up right and did my research. I looked up all the greek organizations that were on campus and looked at what each organization stood for on a national/international scale. Then I asked the sorority women I knew, who just so happened to be a diverse group of black women why they chose where they went:

  • A girl in my classes who would later be my Grandbig: she said she never really considered NPHC
  • After rushing she became one of my best friends: all of my friends were in NPC
  • My RA: she said she chose NPHC because she didn't want to be a part of an organization that her mother wouldn't have been able to be a part of [my mom is white, so it really seemed like a nonissue]
As superficial as it may seem- I wanted the freedom to make letters in any and every color combination ( I mean, my collection is pretty extensive and I did win the best collegiate letters at my last IRD.) After asking around and finding out what the sororities stood for, their founder's reasoning and their varying philanthropies, I decided to go with NPC. When recruitment came around, I went off my gut. I'm so lucky to have found my home in Alpha Gamma Delta. I loved our philanthropy. The purpose that the Founders created for our entire organization. 

TLC 2013

I wish everyone going through recruitment the best of luck. My advice:
  • First impressions are everything... but remember 
  • Be yourself
  • Go wherever you feel comfortable
I loved my best friend's sorority, still do,  she went through the year before, but it didn't feel like mine. So I went with my gut and when I went to Alpha Gamma Delta, I knew I was home.

Loyally, 

KJB



EDIT: If you're a greek man or woman, I think it's your duty and definitely your responsibility to dispel rumors or stereotypes about yourself and your fellow greeks. Don't let people talking badly about greek life, continue without telling them about your experience, don't let them be a part of the problem without being part of the solution. Sure there are terrible things that can happen in greek life, but there are terrible things that happen in any large body of organizations. The media is sure to bring awareness to the negatives, so you have to be sure to bring light to the positives. Our GPAs, our philanthropies, the service we do within our communities, the sisterhood and the brotherhood. Greeks do a lot of good works and they should be seen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Flashback Fashion Friday: January 2021

January 2021 was honestly a continuation of 2020... it was such a long ass month. At the end of the month, there was a power outage that las...