MCM: Optimus Val Meets World

Meet this summer's final Man Crush Monday! Val.

Can you tell me about your background? School? 
 I’m an immigrant from the island of Jamaica west indies. I grew up in New York City
 I attended the University of Akron I graduated in 2016 with a Bachelor’s of Science in Sport Studies and Coaching.
I will be Returning to school this fall to pursue my masters in Coaching and Sport administration

What do you do for a living?
 To Pay the Bills I am a Starbucks License Store manager.
On the side and my real passion, I coach football; currently at Archbishop Hoban High School 


If you’re not doing it, what would your dream job be?
I'm building up to my Dream job.  As previously mentioned I coach high school football currently. My Dream is to eventually be a defensive coordinator at the collegiate level


How important is social media to your business?
It is very important to both my current job and my dream job.
Starbucks constantly Uses social media to push their brand and keep their customers happy
As for football, I mean look around, even though it isn’t currently football season I can’t go a day without seeing something about my beloved sport. It Helps to get recruits names out there, it keeps us updated on what’s going on at the collegiate and professional levels right at our fingertips
Social media is just taking over the world

What would you say is your personal brand is?
Self-Discipline. I don’t feel the need to project myself as a personal brand. I feel that I can accomplish anything I set my mind to just by being disciplined, working hard, and reminding myself that life is a marathon. 

What can others learn from you?
It may seem a little blunt but ignorance is bliss. Sometimes I honestly just tune out the whole world on purpose. If I am constantly worrying about everyone and everything else, I cannot move forward. 



How do you do under pressure? How do you handle stress?
I’m great under pressure. I have a fuck it just get it done attitude. If I freak out about something then I waste the precious time I have to get said task done

What’s the average day in the life of Val look like?

Pretty simple 
I’m usually at work by 6:30 or 7am. I’m there until I’m done with my day’s tasks. Sometimes that’s 3pm sometimes that’s 7pm.
I then usually work out and try to put some time into my hobby (DJ-ing)
From august to December I am always out of work by 3 and I have football practice from 3:30 until 6:30. Any free time Is usually dedicated to game film 


Do you/Did you have a mentor/mentee?
My mentor is my Fraternity Little's Father. He is very Much of a father figure to me as well and in the world of coaching He has taught me countless things. 

How did you advance your career?
For Starbucks I Just worked my butt off. I’ve been there for Five years and have been promoted three times.
For Football I just asked. I sent countless Emails to local coaches Trying to score internships and when I landed one with Hoban I worked my butt off and was able to return the following year as a coach and not just an intern 



Why do you do what you do?
Starbucks: IM BROKE AND THEY GOT THE POWER TO CHANGE THAT
Football: it’s the only thing that ive ever felt like made sense ive always loved football and the idea of being able to help young athletes develop and become great is a huge driving factor 


Do you have a ‘must have’ accessory? Or something you feel is your signature look?

My hat. I own 37 hats and I know people who have never seen me without one on. I have one on right now and I’m sitting at my laptop typing.



Who or what is your greatest inspiration?
Myself. I Destroyed my knee one semester into playing football and I’m living vicariously through my athletes. It helps keep me sane knowing that I have the opportunity to help athletes be the best they can be

What do you feel is your greatest accomplishment?
 I once ate a whole large pizza, sober. 


What was your big break?
Coach T, the head coach of Archbishop Hoban read my email and gave me a chance 

Are you a member of any organizations? Trade Organizations, etc.
Tau Kappa Epsilon Fraternity 


What advice can you give others that look towards you to gauge success?
At the end of the day old people are going to blame things on us (millennials) anyway and so what sometimes you got to eat sleep for dinner. One day you’re gonna be great 



What advice can you give on failure?
Embrace it. If everything went perfectly life would be boring.

What’s next for you? 
Grad school. I’m just Trying to be great


Thanks, Val!

xo,

KJB

Follow Val:
Twitter: @Optimus_Val

No comments:

Post a Comment

Flashback Fashion Friday: January 2021

January 2021 was honestly a continuation of 2020... it was such a long ass month. At the end of the month, there was a power outage that las...