WCW: Abby Zerull Meets World

It's Wednesday! Meet today's #WCW!


She's one of my FABULOUS sorority sisters & currently Omega's VP of Administration. She's also the secretary of the Communications Committee for the University of Akron. Not to mention a proud member of the Ohio Democratic party. She's also one of the Captains of the Speech and Debate team. Perhaps one of her proudest feats: a Starbucks Gold Card member [probably my most important membership of all].

I just adore her and I'm sure you will too!


Meet Abby!


Can you tell me about your background? School? 

I’m currently a senior at the University of Akron, and I study Public Relations and American Politics. Before that, I was BGSU studying musical theatre.

Is this your sole job? If not, what else do you do?
Besides going to class, I also work at State Farm. I do a lot of administrative tasks, but I also help people apply for bank loans through State Farm. While it’s not a job, I’m also a member of the University of Akron’s Speech Team. With the amount of time I spend traveling, practicing, and preparing, it may as well be a full time job. But, I do love every second of it.



If you’re not doing it, what would your dream job be?

My dream job would easily be Press Secretary of the United States. I’m obsessed with politics and communications, so what better way to combine my two loves? I also would get a spacious office in the West Wing. THAT right there is #goals.



What can others learn from you?

I would say the biggest thing someone could learn from looking at my life is that you can always push yourself to go further. However, I think it’s also important to note that, once you find your boundaries, you should stick to them. Mental health is just as important as physical health. Do awesome things, but put yourself first.



How do you do under pressure? How do you handle stress?

I’m one of those borderline clinically insane people that thrives off of pressure and stress. I am most productive and efficient when there’s a deadline looming over my head. Typically, if the stress is too much to handle, I pull out my planner (which is larger than my head), and I write everything down in order of importance. Knowing exactly what I have to do offers a sense of clarity to my day, and to my life!

What’s the average day in the life of Abby look like?
A normal day in my life involves not enough sleep and way too much Starbucks. But it also involves going to classes, hanging out with my sorority sisters, and making sure my highlighter is always brighter than my future.



How did you advance your career?

Right now, I’m still working on the advancing part. I’m trying to build a firm foundation (aka an amazing resume) so that future employers will want to hire me as soon as they can. I take every opportunity that I can, within reason. I try to use those opportunities to network and build my skill set. The more variety, the happier I am.



How would you describe your personal style?

While my sorority sisters jokingly refer to my style as “Sexy Librarian Chic,” I prefer “Basic Business Casual with a Splash of Extra.” I’m a huge fan of “the bruise palette,” so anything with the colors blue, black, purple, or green in them. I love dressing up a simple outfit with gaudy jewelry (there’s your splash of extra). I’m also frequently found sporting my letters and my red Hunter Boots (that’s where the “basic” comes into play).



What makes up your wardrobe?

My wardrobe has a lot of plain, oversized shirts and fun and colorful pants. I’m also a huge sweater fan, since I’m cold 80% of the time. Scarves are also my BFFs.



Who is your fashion icon?

I have always idolized Diana Vreeland. She was a strong, feminist woman who took chances with fashion constantly. She was never boring, but always looked sophisticated and chic.



What do you feel is your greatest accomplishment?

I think my greatest accomplishment was deciding on my major in college. Growing up, I was determined to be a musical theatre major. I had started acting when I was five, so obviously I have a lot of experience in the theatre world. However, when I started out as a musical theatre major as a freshman, I quickly realized that this was NOT the career for me. It took a lot of bravery to walk away from a school I liked and a major that I felt confident in to a University I didn’t know and a major I knew even less about. But that experienced changed me for the better. I am a much stronger person now. Transferring schools is never easy, but looking back, if I would have stayed in my comfort zone I know that I would not be the happy and thriving individual that I am today. I discovered my true passion and purpose… Not every 21 year old is that lucky.



What is your ‘must have’ accessory?

My Fossil watch – I feel like I’m always running late, so when I don’t wear my watch I simply can’t function. It’s silver with a medium clock face and, of course, is rimmed with (fake) diamond studs.

What advice can you give others that look towards you to gauge success?

Don’t look to anyone else to gauge your success – look toward yourself! Did you do more than you did yesterday? Did you impact someone’s life? Did you refrain from buying a third Kat Von D Liquid Lipstick? Good for you! Build on your own success, because you know your story.

What advice can you give on failure?
You literally cannot be successful without failure. It’s impossible. No human being has EVER done something amazing on the first try. Take a second and be angry, be upset… But don’t you ever stop chasing your dreams if you know you want them.





xo,

KJB

No comments:

Post a Comment

Flashback Fashion Friday: January 2021

January 2021 was honestly a continuation of 2020... it was such a long ass month. At the end of the month, there was a power outage that las...