Ten Years Later

June 16, 2007 was a Saturday. It started off how most Saturdays did.


I woke up in my bed, which was a nice turn of events after having been in Arkansas for a week with my church youth group at Heifer International. I went downstairs and had breakfast with my mom on our patio in our backyard. It was a totally ordinary day. We had plans to get together with my aunt that was in town and my grandparents. There was no reason to believe that anything of consequence would happen that day. That is until halfway through the meal, my mom received a frantic call from my aunt asking her to come over to my grandparents house. She left unassumingly and I went about my Saturday morning and early afternoon, watching tv that I had missed for a week- on our couch. It never occurred to me that mom was gone an abnormally long time or that the day had was passing and my sister and I hadn't been picked up to spend the day with the family. I jut continued to watch tv. That is until my mom came home and told me the worst news, my grandpa had died. 



Ten years later, a lot has changed but I still remember that day vividly. 

People don't ask about my tattoo in honor of my grandpa much anymore. I've graduated high school, college and started graduate school. 

Yesterday, my grandma closed on the sale of the last house she lived in with my grandpa. 


I miss him everyday but a little extra today. 


I've always been fashionable.


xo,

KJB

No comments:

Post a Comment

Flashback Fashion Friday: January 2021

January 2021 was honestly a continuation of 2020... it was such a long ass month. At the end of the month, there was a power outage that las...