Faith, Trust & Pixie Dust


 Things work out, they always do and yet we're still surprised when they do. I hope that you know that your life is truly what you make of it and that you fall in love with every part of your life.

My final semester of college was a shitstorm (to put it eloquently) of financial distress.

The struggle began when mom had knee surgery last summer, so she didn't work her usual summer job and my internship was unpaid, I actually had to pay for the credits-- to be able to do my internship I used what loan money I would've used had I been going til the Spring and picked up an online class to be able to pay for the internship, so we went from being a 3 (mom's a teacher) income household to one. And we did just fine. I had a great summer, where I worked at my amazing internship and got to go see the Princess Diana exhibition in Cincinnati, its final stop before it returned to the Royal Family.




As we all know, I was a Rho Gamma or a Recruitment Guide my final semester in college and because of training I was required to do, I finally went back to Akron during the summertime (since starting school there in 2010, the moment the spring semester was over- I peaced out and didn't return until fall semester, so it was fun to come see my friends) and it was fabulous. Being a Rho Gam was amazing and incredibly rewarding, I loved helping the Fall Pledge Class of 2014 find their homes, but it was also difficult. To be able to help with placement, I had to disaffiliate so that I could be an impartial guide, so I couldn't talk to a lot of my friends openly, which is actually extremely difficult- think about if you had to give up talking to your friends, my saving grace was that I actually lived in my sorority house.





















After paying for classes and receiving my refund check, I paid for my rent in full- so as not to have to worry about it for the five months that I lived there, we decided that was for the best. Then there were my sorority dues. I had to buy my books and miscellaneous school supplies and after my computer broke at the beginning of the summer- and having joined the evil empire (iPhone, iPad) getting the MacBook Air during the 'Back to School' promo, go big or go home, right? It was a great purchase, love it dearly though the price tag was a big steep.

So if you're keeping track- my bank account is running significantly low! I worked as usual but whereas in previous years it was just to have a little extra or to pay for my sorority dues. But now I was working because I had to. I needed it to survive week to week. This financial struggle took me back to sophomore year, where I got a job to pay for joining a sorority with in junction with donating plasma, but I had a meal plan and lived in a dorm, so that was taken care of. Senior year was different though because while I had paid for rent- I hadn't paid for food. And ask any college student- food is the most important part! So I had to start rationing my money and I was lucky to have one substantial meal a day. Which was difficult but do able, I never bought groceries and I had to ration trips home due to the lack of gas money. Luckily, if I've said this once- I've said it a thousand times, I have the greatest friends on this planet and more often than not, if they wanted to go for dinner, they would pay for me.

It was an extremely low part of my college experience but honestly- while my final semester was anything but easy it was a great time, even with everything going on personally and financially- I managed to participate and attend more than everything I was mandated to attend so much so that I won a free ticket to my sorority formal.


Went back for Little's First Initiation (she was Ritual Coordinator)


My Stupendous Little Babe!

So while I was sad to leave Akron I was extremely happy to move home. I was suddenly guaranteed at least two meals a day, brunch and dinner.

Ultimately, somehow after all the trials and tribulations I was able to live off what little money I had left, my last University paycheck and my returned security deposit for a little over 6 months, I managed to go back to Akron five times for various occasions and made it to my first paycheck from Lane Bryant with $3 to my name.



Jade's Graduation


Jade's Graduation Party


My Best Friend came for her annual visit!














So as hard as it may be...

All things are possible through him who gives me strength. Philippians 4:13

Even now- my car died at the beginning of the summer and while we save to fix the transmission, mom & I have been sharing her car. During the summer she wasn't working so I would just take the car to work and now that school is back in session- we leave at 6:15 so she can be to work by 7, I nap in the car until 8:30 and then drive to my 9am shift. It's a crazy life we lead, but it's totally do able. Even this morning- I had to be at work 6am so mom had to be at work a quarter to six. I got off at 11 and I hung out in my mom's classroom til she was ready to go home at 2:30.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger, right?

xxoo

KJB


All you need is faith, trust & pixie dust!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Flashback Fashion Friday: January 2021

January 2021 was honestly a continuation of 2020... it was such a long ass month. At the end of the month, there was a power outage that las...